Subject: ld.elf_so broken in 1.6 release
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/25/2004 18:23:32
Hi,

It appears that the netbsd-1-6 tree as of yesterday is not working.
Starting with NetBSD 1.6.2, if I build a new copy of the OS and try to
chroot into it, many things will work, but some will not. For instance:

# cvs login
Illegal instruction (core dumped)

# sysstat vmstat
Illegal instruction

# vi
Illegal instruction (core dumped)

Other binaries, like ifconfig, top, fortune, and ping work.

The problem seems to be with ld.elf_so; if I replace it with the older
one, everything works. Running the new ld.elf_so with a kernel compiled
from the same source tree doesn't help (as I found out the hard way; I'm
glad this happened on the machine colocated here in Los Angeles, as
opposed to the one in New York City: 14 miles as compared with 2500).

Anyone know what's broken?

John Klos
--
"Capitalism is the absurd belief that the worst of men, for the worst of
reasons, will somehow work for the benefit of us all." -- John Maynard Keynes