Subject: Booting 2.0_BETA
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Henry R. Bent <hbent@cs.oberlin.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/21/2004 13:40:48
Hi all,

I just installed releng's 2.0_BETA snapshot on an 8600/300 (OF 1.0.5).  I
created a bootable CD for the installer - just a standard ISO level 1 disc
with ofwboot.xcf and some kernels in the root.  That worked like a charm
if I booted like this:

0 > boot scsi-int/sd@3:0,OFWBOOT.XCF NETBSD-I.NST

the funny kernel name is because Toast truncated my filenames to 8.3.

In any case, the install ran cleanly and I rebooted.  However things don't
seem to be working smoothly.  Booting from the disk gives:

0 > boot scsi-int/sd@4:0,OFWBOOT.XCF NETBSD
OF_open bootpath=scsi-int/sd@4
read stage 2 blocks: 0123456. done!
starting stage 2...

>> NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.10
>> (autobuild@tgm.netbsd.org, Sun Jul 18 11:23:22 UTC 2004)
bad partition number, using 0 start=0x0
DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00300

I tried this with various other names for the kernel, both gzipped and
not, but nothing seems to boot.  OFW has load-base set to 600000 and
real-base set to F00000.  Then I tried booting without all the extra
filenames at the end, which used to work for me in 1.6.1 on an 8600/200:

0 > boot scsi-int/sd@4:0
OF_open bootpath=scsi-int/sd@4
read stage 2 blocks: 123456. done!
starting stage 2...

>> NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.10
>> (autobuild@tgm.netbsd.org, Sun Jul 18 11:23:22 UTC 2004)
open /netbsd: Device not configured
open /netbsd.gz: Device not configured
open /netbsd.macppc: Device not configured
Boot:

This is strange to me because /netbsd and /netbsd.gz both exist on that
disk.  I tried a few other things at the booter prompt but couldn't seem
to work any magic.  Is there a way I can pass it exact device paths?

If anyone can offer any enlightenment, I'd be glad to hear it.  I know the
2.0 series isn't quite ready for prime time yet, but I've had pretty good luck
with it on other platforms so far.

--
Henry Bent
hbent@cs.oberlin.edu