Subject: Re: Grey Screen Booting NetBSD on 9500/120
To: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/20/2004 17:42:03
Hello,

>> What kind of video card do you use - does it support OF's text
>> console?
>> The Matrox firmware for Macintosh for instance doesn't, although the
>> Millennium I and II work fine with MacOS and BeOS. Is the console
>> still
>> on ttya? Maybe input-device is wrong - I know I mistyped it sometimes
>> (
>> keyb or kbrd or so instead of kbd and so on ) - OF also reverts to
>> ttya
>> if input-device is wrong.
>
> 1. I have a Matrox millennium and I have OF console :) In a 9500/120!
Oops, did you use the flash software from matrox.com? That's what I did
with various PCish Millennium I and II, I've never been able to get
them into OF text mode. Can't really be my stupidity since a IMS,tt3d
and a TDFX,Voodoo3 worked...

> I remember it was very hard to get a console on my 9500 for the first
> time.
Agreed. Figuring out which device path to use is error-prone and
painful if you don't really know what you're doing - which was
certainly the case when I tried first time.

> The best and most repeatable success is using Bootvars, setting the
> parameters there and reboot.
Yep. Or use xpostfacto - it has a menu that shows possible OF output
devices.

> I first experimented via serial-console using essentially "dev / ls" :
> you join the name of the PCI bus you jhave the card in and the card
> itself. Then enter "kbd" as output device too. While on serial console
> you can have "mixed" input and output, My experience shows that from
> Bootvars you need to set "kbd"
Mixed output didn't work for me - OF used ttya for both when one of
input-device or output-device was invalid ( 1.0.5 on a S900 - /should/
be the same as yours... )

have fun
Michael