Subject: Re: Grey Screen Booting NetBSD on 9500/120
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/20/2004 23:08:09

> What kind of video card do you use - does it support OF's text console?
> The Matrox firmware for Macintosh for instance doesn't, although the
> Millennium I and II work fine with MacOS and BeOS. Is the console still
> on ttya? Maybe input-device is wrong - I know I mistyped it sometimes (
> keyb or kbrd or so instead of kbd and so on ) - OF also reverts to ttya
> if input-device is wrong.

1. I have a Matrox millennium and I have OF console :) In a 9500/120!
I remember it was very hard to get a console on my 9500 for the first
time.
The best and most repeatable success is using Bootvars, setting the
parameters there and reboot.

I first experimented via serial-console using essentially "dev / ls" :
you join the name of the PCI bus you jhave the card in and the card
itself. Then enter "kbd" as output device too. While on serial console
you can have "mixed" input and output, My experience shows that from
Bootvars you need to set "kbd"

And voila', you SHOULD get OF after you hit the "write and reboot"
button.

but I had 2 apparently identical ATI Mach64 videocards, same board but
slightly different firmware version. I never got one to display OF ! I
could even swap in out for the other. This has alwyas been a mystery.
Anyway, I gave one to a friend and it forks on OSX (even console) for
him, so he is happy.

-R