Subject: vgahw and so on
To: netbsd-macppc <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/16/2004 00:35:26
Hello,

maybe I've found a way to get vgahw to work without too much pain...
powerpc/pio.h defines a bunch of macros that mimic the x86 I/O
instructions, and after some fiddling I found that I could - sort of -
access the IO part of some PCI device after mmap()ing the IO space and
using these macros...  maybe it's enough just to mmap the VGA registers
( their location is hardwired and can't be changed ) and use the mmio
stuff already found in vgahw - sounds a little frivolous but may work.

So - questions for the gurus again:
Is that the 'proper' way to access PCI IO stuff on PowerPCs? Pretend
it's memory and use some additional sync instruction after each
operation?

Getting vgahw to work would allow quite a lot of graphics boards to
work...

have fun
Michael