Subject: Re: E100
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Walther <trag@io.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/15/2004 19:20:42
At 22:59 -0700 07/14/2004, Erik E. Fair wrote:

>This particular card is specific to the Umax S900 - I've never seen any other
>  variant of the PowerMac 9500 motherboard that has that strange little slot
>  behind the PCI slot. Also, the S900 is the only 9500 variant that uses a
>  PCI-PCI bridge to get six PCI slots; all the others use a mainbus
>to PCI bridge.

Picking nits--the J700 also has the extended PCI slot and the PCI-PCI
Bridge.   Of course, one could argue that the J700 is an S900.

The J700 was Umax's lower end professional machine.   It came in a
desktop case (S900 is in a tower) and has only four PCI slots.
However, the fifth and sixth PCI slots are provided for on the J700
motherboard and one need only install the PCI slot connectors in
order for the J700 to have six slots.

In other words, the J700 motherboard is the same as the S900 with
fewer components soldered down.

Jeff Walther