Subject: Re: my 8600
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/15/2004 15:52:32
Hello,

>> Do you have any CPU-specific optimization stuff in CFLAGS or so?
>
> i haven't added anything.  does pkgsrc have anything that it adds
> automatically?
It shouldn't but perl's config stuff might do it. This would definitely
be different for you since AIX needs a lot of specific code in perl
because it's handling of shared libraries and loadable modules is
completely different from most other UNIXes...

>> I had exactly the same error on a 604e box running AIX - removing -O2
>> and -mcpu=604e from CFLAGS cured the problem and allowed perl to build
>
> interesting.  let me see if i can convince it to not use -O2 which it
> looks
> like it was using.  speaking of which, what would good flags be for my
> machine
> with its G3 Sonnet card?
For a G3 I'd use -mcpu=750 and -O2 - this should be enough. I had this
problem with perl only on 604 boxes though.

>> - maybe not as fast as it could be but at least working. Didn't have
>> this on my G3 though, seems to be a bug in gcc.
> you mean perl is every fast?  ;)
Well, there's a huge difference between a perl binary built by gcc with
-mcpu=common without optimization and one built with IBM's compiler for
a 604e with all optimizations allowed - might still not qualify as
'fast' but it's definitely better than 'horribly slow' :)

have fun
Michael