Subject: Re: USB on S900
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@netbsd.org>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/15/2004 15:43:08
Hello,

> What's probably going on with your USB PCI add-in card (no, the S900
> did not have built-in USB)
I didn't say it has built-in USB. If it had then I'd expect USB support
in OF.

> is that it got power from the PCI bus when the system was turned on,
> and did its own basic power-on initialization which apparently
> included putting power on the USB (or it could be that the system
> firmware did basic "PCI card turn-on"). I bet your USB mouse did its
> own power-on initializatiobn when it got power from USB.
Hmm, usually the USB mouse was powered on by MacOS, not earlier.

> The question is whether there's an FCode driver on the USB card that
> then registers any USB HIDs as input devices, or mass storage devices
> that can be booted from (USB disks, floppies, CD-ROMs, etc). I bet
> that all you'll see is a PCI ID tuple (vendor ID, product ID) and the
> addresses of the PCI registers, but no other "words" registered by the
> USB card.
There's almost certainly no FCode ROM on the card, it appears as
/bandit/pci-bridge/pcixxxx,xxx@xx, that's why I found it a bit weird
that it was powered on - I always thought that's the job of some
driver.

have fun
Michael