Subject: Re: 8600 explodes with 2.0BETA as well
To: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/15/2004 07:45:50
On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 06:38:55PM -0400, John Klos wrote:

> I have a 9600 on which I have a 4 gig disk on the motherboard SCSI for
> booting the kernel and for a backup OS. I just custom compiled a kernel
> with the root hardcoded to sd0a, since my PCI SCSI card is scsibus0. Any
> old SCSI drive will do.

yeah, this is my ultimate plan, as it will ease the transition from IDE to SATA
since the OS won't like there and i won't need to worry about OF supported
SATA controller. ;)

> Also, if you test the OS on the motherboard SCSI before using the IDE,
> you'll know if that has anything to do with your problems. I've seen
> lockups with bad (as in not well supported) IDE cards before.

well, after reseating the ram and cpu, it seems to be stable now.  building a
new kernel as we speak.  pkgsrc is next.

> Aren't the Hauppauge video cards supported? I remeber Hauppauge - they
> were one of the first companies with an i386 motherboard...

not really sure, as i've never tried to use a Sun that way before. :)

ok, so there is a chap who has the A/V for this thing supported for linux.
who could i convince to work on getting it running in NetBSD?  ;)

-brian
--
"Performing a Google search on the fairly unique name you've chosen weeks
ago for a piece of software you're writing, only to discover that the