Subject: Re: E100
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/14/2004 22:59:15
This particular card is specific to the Umax S900 - I've never seen
any other variant of the PowerMac 9500 motherboard that has that
strange little slot behind the PCI slot. Also, the S900 is the only
9500 variant that uses a PCI-PCI bridge to get six PCI slots; all the
others use a mainbus to PCI bridge. I worked for Apple Computer
during the "clone era" and have examples of a number of these in my
collection of antiques.

All PCI PowerMacintoshes (and clones) use OpenBoot Firmware (IEEE
1275) and specifically identify themselves in the device tree. That
being the case, any strange hacks needed to make the E100 card work
can be executed contingent on the system identifying itself as a Umax
(SuperMac) S900.

I have two of these systems, but I haven't loaded NetBSD on them yet.
Both are dual processor 604e's, one is 2x200 MHz, and the other is
2x250 MHz. Both have E100 cards, so I have a definite interest in
seeing this work. Please do file a PR with the diffs.

Have you had any luck with the Qlogic isp(4) driver yet?

	Erik <fair@netbsd.org>