Subject: Re: E100 progress
To: Jeff Walther <trag@io.com>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/14/2004 19:49:42
Hello,

>> I got the tulip driver to attach to the E100's DEC 21140 - hardwired
>> memory
>>  and interrupt to the values the MacOS driver uses - now it complains
>> about a
>>  broken SROM. Let's see...
>>
>> have fun
>> Michael
>
> What value does the interrupt use for the DEC 21140 on the E100?
It defaults to pin A, and I hardwired it to IRQ 24 or 26 - no results
so far.

> I suspect that the interrupt is in that extra connector at the end of
> PCI slot A1.
Exactly.

>  It appears that Umax gave the JackHammer the normal PCI connections
> from the slot, and then gave the ethernet a piggyback ride off of the
> bus connections and put the slot specific connections (arbitration,
> interrupt) in the slot extender.   However, tracing out the
> connections on the motherboard has never made it to the front of my
> projects queue.
It appears to be exactly like you said.
Well, I could try to make it use another pin - there arent' that many
of them after all.
The only other DEC21140s I have sit in my PowerStack - one onboard, one
on a card, both in heavy use, so I can't really abuse them for testing
- or does anyone here know an easy way to read PCI registers and so on
under AIX?
Right now it's like this:
- the driver attaches, finds the MAC address and so on
- it binds itself to the right interrupt, negotiates 100MBit/FDX
- as soon as anything gets transmitted it disconnects and renegotiates,
the kernel says 'tlp0: filter setup and transmit timeout'.
- the PHY is identified correctly ( DP83840, confirmed by looking at
the card )
So, it looks like either the interrupt doesn't fire or if it fires the
kernel/driver/whatever doesn't notice. Is there any more that OF does
to PCI cards besides assigning address ranges and interrupts? Do I need
to inform someone else about the IRQ? So far I just write the number
into the corresponding PCI config register, update pa->pa_intrline and
hope that the driver does the rest - at least it doesn't complain.
systat vmstat doesn't show the IRQ I (ab)used for the E100.

have fun
Michael