Subject: Re: powerpc 604ev upgrade problems (a bit OT)
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Walther <trag@io.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/14/2004 17:56:15
At 22:57 +0200 07/14/2004, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
>Hello,
>
>this is a more technical problem. I have a pm 9600/200 which is reported
>to have a tsunami board and has a 640e cpu. I was able to obtain a cpu
>module from a faster 9600 because they upgraded it to G4. SO I have now
>a Mach5 604ev cpu module with 1MB of cache and 350MHz ! but it was made
>for a 'kansas' board. If I fit the cpu module in my mac it fits
>perfectlly but the mac doesn't boot.
>
>Any had experience with this ? are later 9600 logic boards so much
>different from mine ? All the information I found on the internet
>regarded overclocking those cpu modules (also some benchmarks which show
>their impressive performance against early G3's) but not in a way to
>adapt them to older macs.

There were two models of the 9600 which were fairly different
machines and should have had different model numbers.    The first
was the 9600.  The second was officially called the 9600 Enhanced.

The 9600 Enhanced has a modified CPU socket which supports a special
CPU card--the type you have there and the motherboard is called a
Kansas motherboard.   The special CPU card has a Mach V model PPC604
and a 1 MB in-line cache on board.   These newer CPU cards do not
work in the previous model of 9600 despite using the same CPU socket.

So, the direct answer to your question is that the Mach V CPU card is
not going to work in a non-Kansas motherboard.

Other than a little wiring in the CPU sockets the motherboards are
nearly identical.   The Kansas board lacks the soldered down 512K of
L2 cache (not wanted because of the in-line cache on the CPU card)
but the chipset is otherwise identical.

In fact, the ROMs from the Kansas motherboard work just fine in the
earlier models, including (weirdly) the 7200.

There is probably some not too difficult modification one could do to
the motherboard to supply the proper signal/voltage, but I've never
had my hands on a Kansas motherboard or Mach V card so that I could
figure it out.   You can find a pinout of the normal 9500/9600 CPU
slot which I sleuthed out, here:
<http://www.io.com/~trag/x500_CPU_Pinout>

I figure that they really can't mess with the basic bus signals such
as the 64 data lines and the 32 address lines, otherwise third party
upgrade CPUs could not be made to work in both the original 9500/9600
and in the Kansas machines.  The bus arbitration signals are probably
pretty sacrosanct as well.    That doesn't leave that many pins that
could be altered.   I've heard rumors that it's actually some of the
power supply pins that are different, so the difference could be
there.  It shouldn't be too hard to figure out with examples of both
kinds of boards and an ohmmeter.

Jeff Walther