Subject: Re: 8600 explodes with 2.0BETA as well
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/14/2004 18:38:55
Hi,

> It's an 8600 with 256M ram, 400Mhz Sonnet CPU, ACard 850U PCI IDE controller,
> and 17G IDE disk.  i still haven't figured out how to boot from the IDE disk,
> so i've been netbooting it and getting root via nfs and mounting /var, /usr
> and swap from the local disk.

I have a 9600 on which I have a 4 gig disk on the motherboard SCSI for
booting the kernel and for a backup OS. I just custom compiled a kernel
with the root hardcoded to sd0a, since my PCI SCSI card is scsibus0. Any
old SCSI drive will do.

Also, if you test the OS on the motherboard SCSI before using the IDE,
you'll know if that has anything to do with your problems. I've seen
lockups with bad (as in not well supported) IDE cards before.

> it certainly would!  it might work out since then i could find something that
> will do S-Video/audio out that is supported by NetBSD.  or better yet,
> supported by Solaris and then i can get a SunPCI card for it. ;)

Aren't the Hauppauge video cards supported? I remeber Hauppauge - they
were one of the first companies with an i386 motherboard...

John