Subject: powerpc 604ev upgrade problems (a bit OT)
To: netbsd-macppc <port-macppc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/14/2004 22:57:11
Hello,

this is a more technical problem. I have a pm 9600/200 which is reported
to have a tsunami board and has a 640e cpu. I was able to obtain a cpu
module from a faster 9600 because they upgraded it to G4. SO I have now
a Mach5 604ev cpu module with 1MB of cache and 350MHz ! but it was made
for a 'kansas' board. If I fit the cpu module in my mac it fits
perfectlly but the mac doesn't boot.

Any had experience with this ? are later 9600 logic boards so much
different from mine ? All the information I found on the internet
regarded overclocking those cpu modules (also some benchmarks which show
their impressive performance against early G3's) but not in a way to
adapt them to older macs.

Anyone had experience ?  Otherwise I have this excellent CPU idle and
this is a pity.

-Riccardo