Subject: Boot hangs on PPC (Beige, G3, Desktop)
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: None <zt@kbfr.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/13/2004 06:03:05
I'm sorry if this is the wrong list for this kind of question.  Please excuse
the post if it is.

After installing NetBSD on my Power Mac, and setting the recommended variables
in the Installation Document, the OS hangs during the boot process.  It looks
like this:

Open Firmwware 2.0f1
To continue booting the MacOS type:
BYE<return>
To continue booting from the default boot device type:
BOOT<return>
For Open Firmware serial I/O type:
TTYA IO<return>
 ok
0 > boot
OF_open bootpath=ide0/disk@0
read stage 2 blocks: 01234567. done!
starting stage 2...

>> NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.7
>> (autobuild@tgm.netbsd.org, Tue Feb 10 23:44:14 UTC 2004)
Cannot use bootpath
Using boot-device instead
no active package 3872492/

it ends with the cursor under the '/', after it stops spinning.

I would like my Power Mac to boot.  Any ideas?

Something I didn't see mentioned else where, but that some of you might want
to know -- when I wrote the NetBSD floppy disk images (boot1.fs and boot2.fs)
using rawrite2 on a windows PC, I would get read errors when trying to use
them to install.  When I used dd on a linux machine, they worked fine.  I went
through 7 disks thinking they all might of had bad sectors before I tried it
on a linux box.

- ZT