Subject: 2.0G on S900
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/12/2004 22:19:08
Hello,

I tried 2.0G on my S900 ( 300MHz G3/1MB@150MHz, card made by Phase 5 )
First the good points:
- it feels a lot faster than 1.6.2, although that wasn't at all slow
- had to update the bootblocks - works fine.
- everything non-hardware related that worked on 1.6.2 works
- the boot loader works without setting load-base and real-base.
Noticed it by accident - forgot to change them after a nvram reset but
it just worked.
Now the weirdnesses:
- my OHCI card stopped working - 'pci_intr_map: no mapping for pin A''
- works fine in MacOS and 1.6.2
- same for a Yamaha DS1 sound card - didn't try it under 1.6.2 though
Both cards are on pci1 - behind the PCI-PCI bridge found in the S900.
The problem seems unrelated to the bridge since a RealTek 8029 ( PCI
NE2000 Ethernet ) on the same bus works fine.
- when coldbooting the kernel hangs just when it would normally scan
the SCSI busses ( the 2 second message does not appear ) - booting a
1.6.2 kernel, resetting and trying again allows it to boot normally.
- XFree still doesn't work with my Voodoo3/PCI board - still unable to
map the VGA registers / frame buffer. Same problem with various Matrox
and IxMicro cards. Maybe I'll find out what to do to the vgahw module
to make it work some day :/
... and the wishlist:
is there any way to get the Qlogic ISP UW-SCSI and the DEC 21140 fast
ethernet controller on the UMAX E100 card to work? The kernel finds
both devices but the isp driver says 'RAM checksum error' after loading
a firmware image into the controller - disabling doesn't help, then it
runs into some timeout - and the tlp driver says it can't map
registers.  Both work fine in MacOS.
Both devices have more or less the same problems with various Linux
kernels and BeOS can't use them either. The weird thing is that the
SCSI chip is labeled as ISP 1040A but gets probed as 1020, I'll try to
force the driver to handle it like a 1040A, maybe it helps.

have fun
Michael