Subject: Re: 8600 serial console issue solved
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
From: Paul Frommeyer <paul@palas.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/12/2004 12:23:21
| Reset the machine, Option-Apple-O-F, goes to OF (since the serial console is
| still hooked up it defaults to that, woot!) and see that the NVRAM settings
| have been reset to default.

As usual when the PRAM on a Mac gets a mind of its own, consider replacing
the motherboard battery. If your system is still running with the original
battery, then you should definitely replace it, since for that era Mac it's
on massively borrowed time.

| Ah well, now that i have that resolved, it is time to set this thing up to
| netboot since i can't seem to write a friggin floppy disk that doesn't do a
| READ TIMEOUT.

FWIW, when I was attempting to get a G3/333 up on NetBSD a while back, I
ended up cutting the XCOFF boot code to a ZIP disk rather than the floppy, since
the OFW on the G3 hated the floppy drive. While I never did get the G3 up on
NetBSD due to intractable OFW bugs, I had to go the ZIP disk route with one of
our production servers at my work (G4/AGP), and the process worked great.
For our other G4/AGP servers, I was able to hit both the XCOFF and the
install kernel directly on the CD-ROM. IIRC, I just threw the OFWBOOT.XCF
onto an HFS filesystem on the ZIP, and to my suprise

| I hate floppies.
Hear, hear! :-)

YMMV,
	Paul

                          Paul "Corwin" Frommeyer
             Work         Internet Engineer, CCIE               Play
     Senior Network Engineer                          Network Sorcerer At Large
   Deskey Integrated Branding                            Paul's Fone Company
     pfrommeyer@deskey.com                                corwin@palas.com
          *** Speaking solely for myself unless otherwise noted ***