Subject: Re: PCI types & compatibility
To: Zinneken <zinneken@yahoo.com>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/02/2004 13:35:13
Hi,

> Thanks John. For your Promise card problem, have a look at (you
> probably have already, just in case):
> http://www.promise.com/support/faq/faq_answer_eng.asp?faq_id=292

No, it's not the cable or the drive. I have proper cables and all sorts of
modern drives. Nor is it that the drive negotiates to 33 MB/sec at boot;
it negotiates at 100 MB/sec or 133 MB/sec, then, after the very first
attempt to communicate with the drive, the kernel reports a CRC error and
switches to 33 MB/sec mode.

> Do you use the Red Hat driver to use the card or is it recognised
> automatically by NetBSD?

The Red Hat driver would likely be little if no use because of the fact
that it is not common in the Linux world for people to care about
endianness or data or stack alignment issues because they are so x86
focused.

I'm using the NetBSD built-in driver.

John