Subject: Re: PCI types & compatibility
To: Zinneken <zinneken@yahoo.com>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/02/2004 12:23:54
> I'd like to revive my old Umax C600/Apus 3000.
>
> I've read that it should be possible to use on macs or mac clones PC
> ATA PCI cards (such as those from Promise or tekram or other brands).
> Normally (under Mac Os) these are not supposed to work, so I wonder:
>
> has anyone successfully used these PC ATA PCI cards on a mac running NetBSD?

Yes. As Donald pointed out, many will work, but you have to be careful
about which you get.

As a data point, I have tried the Promise ATA-133 card, and it instantly
switches to 33 MB/sec on the first use regardless of the kind of drive or
cable.

I currently have a machine colocated with some no-brand card with a CMD
0648 chip. It runs at 66MB/sec, and seems to work fine with just one
channel in use. With two in use, it eventually has problems.

pciide0 at pci0 dev 15 function 0: CMD Technology PCI0648 (rev. 0x01)

Hope this helps.

John Klos