Subject: Re: Toolchain build fails for 1.6 [Resolved]
To: Matthew Kolb <muk@msu.edu>
From: Paul Frommeyer <paul@palas.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/29/2004 17:18:31

Thank you all, I am well pleased. And a big round of thanks to
Mssrs. Kolb, Klos, and Studemund. Looks like everything is now
sorted out. For those interested in details, still more rolled up
feedback...

muk> Here's the deal.  You wouldn't need to do a toolchain build if you
muk> didn't get new src.  You could simply use the make, cc, and config on
muk> your currently running system (just as you said you could do with other
muk> OSs).

Well, as noted in other feedback below, I was snookered by Chapter 9 of
the Guide into massive overcomplication. The Guide says to do a toolchain
build before doing anything else, irregardless of whether you have new
sources or not. This was, at least for me, *extremely* misleading.

muk> anyways, good luck with netbsd, i think if you keep fooling around with
muk> it, and learn more about it, you will see that it is an OUTSTANDING
muk> operating system, and that it is a joy to maintain.

Oh, let's be clear on this point: I'm willing to place my professional
performance on the line with this OS; it runs all of our production
nameservers at Deskey. Were I any less than 100% confident in it's solidity,
I'd pick another BSD. (Tho I *do* so wish Apple hadn't made such a mess
of the Sawtooth OFW implementation that getting the installer to boot is
something of a black art... :-/). Hat's off to the entire NetBSD team
and especially the PPC group for a rock solid port. In a year and a half of
use, we've not had a single OS problem. **Not one.**

jk> So one might ask why you decided to install 1.6 instead of 1.6.2?
<LOL> Well, the best of all possible reasons... in December of 2002 it
wasn't out yet! :-D

jk> If you'd have installed 1.6.2 from the start, this wouldn't have been an
jk> issue. But since you have 1.6, let's give you a simple way to do what you
jk> want.
jk>
jk> First, get the 1.6 source tree:
jk> setenv CVSROOT :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot
jk> cvs login (password is anoncvs)
jk> cvs checkout -r netbsd-1-6-RELEASE -P
jk> cd src/sys/arch/macppc/conf
jk> cp GENERIC mykernel
jk> vi mykernel
jk> config mykernel
jk> cd ../compile/mykernel
jk> make depend
jk> make

Now, *that's* what I would have expected to be able to do. And in fact,
that's exactly what I started to do (except for netbsd-1-6 instead of
netbsd-1-6-RELEASE, which appears to be what gave me the 1.6.x sources). And
then, of course, there were the misleading docs... In any event, I went ahead
and combined methods per Pavel's comments...

pc> If you mean the Guide, chapter 9: yes, they are. It's better to forget
pc> about them.

So I've discovered! |-o ;-)

pc> You do not need to build a new toolchain or use build.sh or download all
pc> the sources (syssrc.tgz should be enough), because you are not tracking
pc> -current, so points 3. and 7. do not apply.

Man, knowing this would have saved me and all of you an awful lot of bother.
Now, of course, I know. :-)

pc> http://www.draga.com/~jwise/NetBSD/syspkgs/

Thanks, I'll check it out.

So, combining Bill's and Miles' suggestions:

bs> Ok, that makes some more sense. If you want to build a release's kernel,=20
bs> probably the easiest thing to do is just ftp down the release's source.=20
bs> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6/source/sets/ should get you the=
bs> different tarballs for 1.6.

I started with an empty /src, ftp'd down the syssrc.tgz tarball, extracted,
and then did the standard BSD lather-rinse-repeat of vi KERNEL && config
KERNEL && cd ../compile/KERNEL && make depend && make. All went without
a hitch, I rebooted the server, and *that* went without a hitch.
No problems with ps or netstat that I can see, nor do I expect any.

Thanks once again to all for your time and patience, and I'll see if I
can't find time to send some errata over to www@netbsd.org.

Best regards to all and to all a good night,
Cheers,
	Paul

                          Paul "Corwin" Frommeyer
             Work         Internet Engineer, CCIE               Play
     Senior Network Engineer                          Network Sorcerer At Large
   Deskey Integrated Branding                            Paul's Fone Company
     pfrommeyer@deskey.com                                corwin@palas.com
          *** Speaking solely for myself unless otherwise noted ***