Subject: Re: Toolchain build fails for 1.6
To: Paul Frommeyer <paul@palas.com>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.cuni.cz>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/29/2004 22:41:49
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:43:29 +0000, Paul Frommeyer wrote:

> Oh, as to that: I'm in a hurry, which is to say, I want to spend as little
> time on this as possible, since I'm doing this in my day job where there
> are many bigger fish I must fry. Already, I'm somewhat aghast at how involved a
> simple kernel rebuild is for NetBSD, as opposed to FreeBSD, which does
> not require toolchain builds, source checkouts, and the like-- at least,
> not on the end-user side ;-). But then, I'm going by the Handbook's
> instructions, which I'm beginning to suspect may be overcomplicated for
> reasons not clear to me...

If you mean the Guide, chapter 9: yes, they are. It's better to forget
about them.

> bs> Ok, that makes some more sense. If you want to build a release's
> kernel,=20 bs> probably the easiest thing to do is just ftp down the
> release's source.=20 bs>
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6/source/sets/ should get you
> the= bs> =20
> bs> different tarballs for 1.6.
>
> And per other feedback, I should be able to just grab the syssrc

Yes.

> tarball. How to then transmogrify that into a rebuilt kernel doesn't
> seem to be documented, so any and all procedural info from that point is
> appreciated.

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/#how_to_build_a_kernel

You do not need to build a new toolchain or use build.sh or download all
the sources (syssrc.tgz should be enough), because you are not tracking
-current, so points 3. and 7. do not apply.

> The fact is, the dark side of the seductively clean burn/install/boot
> process that is IMNSHO one of the hallmarks of the BSD's is that
> installs-from-scratch are frequently easier than updates. An easier
> update process has been on my wish list of desirables for many moons,
> and at least in that specific area, Apple OS X leaves the other BSDs
> standing. If I can pkg_add apache, then there just oughta be a way to
> pkg_add netbsd-update-1.6.2. :-/

http://www.draga.com/~jwise/NetBSD/syspkgs/

Hope this helps.

Bye	Pavel