Subject: Re: Toolchain build fails for 1.6
To: Paul Frommeyer <paul@palas.com>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/29/2004 14:54:05
Hello,

> Oh, as to that: I'm in a hurry, which is to say, I want to spend as little
> time on this as possible, since I'm doing this in my day job where there
> are many bigger fish I must fry. Already, I'm somewhat aghast at how involved a
> simple kernel rebuild is for NetBSD, as opposed to FreeBSD, which does
> not require toolchain builds, source checkouts, and the like-- at least,
> not on the end-user side ;-). But then, I'm going by the Handbook's
> instructions, which I'm beginning to suspect may be overcomplicated for
> reasons not clear to me...

So one might ask why you decided to install 1.6 instead of 1.6.2?

> Consider: It is faster for me to changeout the entire system to an
> Intel/FreeBSD box with it's attendant simple kernel build process than it
> would be to iterate through checkout/build world/install world for 1.6.2.
> (Actually, it *already* would have been faster, but let's not go there... ;-)
> I realize that's an ugly truth to admit, but it's the price of having
> production service level job pressure to attend to. After all, if I was
> willing to tolerate a labyrinth of software complexity and twisted kernel
> architecture, I'd be running Linux. ;-) ;-)

If you'd have installed 1.6.2 from the start, this wouldn't have been an
issue. But since you have 1.6, let's give you a simple way to do what you
want.

First, get the 1.6 source tree:
setenv CVSROOT :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot
cvs login (password is anoncvs)