Subject: flickering scren on iBook G4
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/29/2004 14:35:28
Hi

I modified the fix to the flicklering screen problem on iBook G4 with X11.
There is now an extra option to the XFree86 radeon driver that will
fix the problem. If you don't have the problem, don't enable it:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "radeon"
	Option      "iBookHacks" "On"
        VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
        BoardName   "Unknown Board"
        BusID       "PCI:0:16:0"
EndSection

The risk of breaking the driver for other PowerPC machines has now
disapeared, but XFree86 -configure will not create an XF86Config file
that works out of the box for the iBook G4.

I therefore post this for a future reference, with the hope that Google
will give it a high rank when someone will be looking for a blinking screen
problem on NetBSD/macppc on an iBook.

The fix: Use the "iBookHacks" option. It is of course NetBSD-specific, at
least for now.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu@netbsd.org