Subject: Re: Toolchain build fails for 1.6
To: Paul Frommeyer <paul@palas.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/28/2004 17:59:29
--J+eNKFoVC4T1DV3f

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 04:07:33PM -0700, Paul Frommeyer wrote:
> | well, i think what the deal is here, is that by cvs co'ing -rnetbsd-1-6=
=20
> | you are getting the "1.6" branch which is going to equate to you=20
> | getting the latest greatest 1.6 (1.6.2, effectively).
>=20
> Ah. This isn't clear from the manual (I'll have to think about submitting
> some change suggestions... ;-). However, am I right in thinking:
> 	1) There is no way to get the first-release 1.6 sources, but
> 	only the current 1.6.x branch
> 	2) That being the case, I'll be risking a kernel build that
> 	doesn't match the current world (the original 1.6 world).

As has been noted, you can use specific tags to get 1.6, 1.6.1, and 1.6.2.

I though have to wonder why you want to do this? The 1.6.x release branch=
=20
has received maintainance updates over its existance. i.e. bugs and=20
security issues have been fixed. Why do you not want those fixes?

> | additionally, if you're going to checkout src and build a new kernel,=
=20
> | you should build a new world. w/o fail.  otherwise you're asking for=20
> | problems.  if you don't modify your srcs (via cvs up or cvsup or=20
> | whatever), then feel free to build and install a billion different=20
> | kernels w/o changing userland.  but again, if you update your srcs, you=
=20
> | should plan on building both.
>=20
> A point of purpose: I'm only interested in building a new kernel. I'm
> not interested in updating to 1.6.x from 1.6 if I can help it. However,
> having started with an empty /usr/src, it looks like I probably have the
> 1.6.x sources... :-/
>=20
> |     pf> Excellent; I'll do a make clean and give this a try.
> |=20
> | maybe you need to do that, too---i don't know.  But doing that will
> | NOT fix the problem you posted a question about.  The NetBSD sources
> | you checked out are broken.  You could try the patch I posted, or wait
> | for someone else to fix the netbsd-1-6 branch more properly.
>=20
> Um, first... patch? I think I missed something somewhere in there...
>=20
> Second, the ./build.sh -t seemed to work. However, this does turn
> out to be a production nameserver and not my home desktop, so I'm not in a
> position to fly with a loose kernel. :-/

Ok, that makes some more sense. If you want to build a release's kernel,=20
probably the easiest thing to do is just ftp down the release's source.=20
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6/source/sets/ should get you the=
=20
different tarballs for 1.6.

However I still think you want to look at updating to 1.6.2. It should be=
=20
a rather painless update (much more gentle than updating to -current), and=
=20
would pick up a number of security fixes.

Take care,

Bill

--J+eNKFoVC4T1DV3f

--J+eNKFoVC4T1DV3f--