Subject: Re: Toolchain build fails for 1.6
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/28/2004 19:36:19
>>>>> "pf" == Paul Frommeyer <paul@palas.com> writes:

    pf> Second, the ./build.sh -t seemed to work.

If the build completed without the patch I posted, then the patch
isn't needed.  I didn't think it would finish with just -t, but maybe
I'm wrong about that.

    pf> A point of purpose: I'm only interested in building a new
    pf> kernel. I'm not interested in updating to 1.6.x from 1.6

I think the new kernel will work okay with the old userland.

If you want to make absolutely sure everything matches, you can get
older sources, then.  For example,

 ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6/source/sets

is for NetBSD 1.6 rather than 1.6.x.

Also, I think you can download only syssrc.tar.gz from that directory
if you want to rebuild only the kernel.

You can get older sources with cvs, too, using the tags James posted.

    pf> How do I find out for sure what version of the sources that I
    pf> have?

Maybe you can say something like

$ cd /usr/src
$ cvs status Makefile

and look at the sticky options.  I'm running 2.0_BETA, so it says:

castrovalva$ cvs status Makefile
File: Makefile          Status: Up-to-date

   Working revision:    1.231
   Repository revision: 1.231   /cvsroot/src/Makefile,v
   Sticky Tag:          netbsd-2-0 (branch: 1.231.2)
   Sticky Date:         (none)
   Sticky Options:      (none)

You can see the Sticky Tag above shows 'netbsd-2-0'.  This is the
branch that will eventually become the NetBSD 2.0 release, which I'm
using.  I guess James posted the other tags for NetBSD 1.6.x.

Anyway the sticky options are merely what you typed in when you
checked out the sources, so if you remember what you typed 'cvs
status' tells you nothing new.

If you didn't set a sticky date with -D, you have to also remember on
what date you checked out to have a canonical way to refer to exactly
what version of sources you have.  I think tags like
netbsd-1-6-PATCH002 won't change any more since 1.6.2 is released, but
I'm not completely sure about that---they might be subject to
security-advisory-changes.

--
Le fascisme est la dictature ouverte de la bourgeoisie.
		-- Georg Dimitrov