Subject: Re: Toolchain build fails for 1.6
To: Matthew Kolb <muk@msu.edu>
From: Paul Frommeyer <paul@palas.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/28/2004 16:07:33

Well, this all seems to be making sense, which in a way is scaring me... ;-)

Rolling up multiple responses and dropping attributions for brevity...

| well, i think what the deal is here, is that by cvs co'ing -rnetbsd-1-6
| you are getting the "1.6" branch which is going to equate to you
| getting the latest greatest 1.6 (1.6.2, effectively).

Ah. This isn't clear from the manual (I'll have to think about submitting
some change suggestions... ;-). However, am I right in thinking:
	1) There is no way to get the first-release 1.6 sources, but
	only the current 1.6.x branch
	2) That being the case, I'll be risking a kernel build that
	doesn't match the current world (the original 1.6 world).

| additionally, if you're going to checkout src and build a new kernel,
| you should build a new world. w/o fail.  otherwise you're asking for
| problems.  if you don't modify your srcs (via cvs up or cvsup or
| whatever), then feel free to build and install a billion different
| kernels w/o changing userland.  but again, if you update your srcs, you
| should plan on building both.

A point of purpose: I'm only interested in building a new kernel. I'm
not interested in updating to 1.6.x from 1.6 if I can help it. However,
having started with an empty /usr/src, it looks like I probably have the
1.6.x sources... :-/

|     pf> Excellent; I'll do a make clean and give this a try.
|
| maybe you need to do that, too---i don't know.  But doing that will
| NOT fix the problem you posted a question about.  The NetBSD sources
| you checked out are broken.  You could try the patch I posted, or wait
| for someone else to fix the netbsd-1-6 branch more properly.

Um, first... patch? I think I missed something somewhere in there...

Second, the ./build.sh -t seemed to work. However, this does turn
out to be a production nameserver and not my home desktop, so I'm not in a
position to fly with a loose kernel. :-/

All this being the case, I think what I really need to know is: How do I
find out for sure what version of the sources that I have?

Many many thanks for all the feedback,

	Paul

                          Paul "Corwin" Frommeyer
             Work         Internet Engineer, CCIE               Play
     Senior Network Engineer                          Network Sorcerer At Large
   Deskey Integrated Branding                            Paul's Fone Company
     pfrommeyer@deskey.com                                corwin@palas.com
          *** Speaking solely for myself unless otherwise noted ***