Subject: Re: G4 (AGP) boots, but won't auto-boot
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <MacPPC@caution.icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/23/2004 09:18:18
>> Unfortunately, I still can't auto-boot.
>>
>> When I set it up as described, and type "boot", it comes up.
>> When I change auto-boot? to true, I get a solid white or black
>> screen and an apparent hang.
>
>I get the same thing. My colocated machine comes up fine with 1.6.2 (AGP G4; upgraded over time from 1.6), but my new machine (AGP G4 with 1.2 GHz 7457) doesn't. I had been thinking that it was just an OF thing, but after this, maybe not. This machine's going to be local, anyway, at least until 2.0 is usable, but I'd like to know why the screen doesn't come up, and why the default font is ridiculously huge and slow.
>
>If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be happy to try them.
>
>John Klos

I just went down and tried doing an auto-boot and letting the machine sit
in the "white screen console" state long enough for the boot to have finished
booting.  It did _not_ come up. :-<

Conclusion: FWIW, it's not _just_ a console video problem.

I wish I knew OF well enough to debug this.  It's clear that the
boot-command is running, because my "500 ms" is doing as it's told.
Is there an explicit "initialize the screen" command that I can throw
in there, followed by some "hello world" debug output to try to figure out
what's up?

-dgl-