Subject: Re: Install on iBook G4 (14" early 2004)
To: Tristan Faujour <tristan.faujour@laposte.net>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/23/2004 12:40:38
> Even if this model is not listed as supported ("iBook G4 is untested but
> should work" according to the model support page), I tried installing
> NetBSD 1.6.2.

Reload the page, it got supported a few hours before you ask the question :)

You need to install -current or 2.0, built after 2004/06/22. Catch an
auto-build on http://releng.netbsd.org as soon as it gets available,
or, if you are impatient, cross-build the system yourself from another
machine (NetBSD can be easily built for any platform from various Unix
systems, Linux included).

In order to create a bootable CD-ROM, create a tree with the snapshot,
and at the root put ofwboot.xcf and the netbsd-INSTALL kernel. Make an
ISO and you'll be able to install.

> It appears that the keyboard is not supported (I get stuck at "Terminal
> type? [vt100]"). I tried with a external USB keyboard: same result.

Yes, I fixed that a few days ago. The interrupt controller was not
enabled, thus making keyboard, mouse, disk, CDROM and network unable to
read anything. It works well now.

> I wonder if I could help testing NetBSD on this platform.

Sure. For now it's a new land to discover, and I'd like to fix all the problems
before NetBSD-2.0 gets released.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu@netbsd.org