Subject: Re: G4 (AGP) boots, but won't auto-boot
To: None <mlh@goathill.org>
From: Don Lee <MacPPC@caution.icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/22/2004 12:50:11
>Donald Lee wrote:

>>>I did this on my PCI G4 a couple of weeks ago, and while I can't check
>>>it right now, I don't think I set boot-command away from the default;
>>>I just set boot-device and boot-file and auto-boot? to yes.
>>
>> The PCI G4 (aka "Yikes!") is the same chassis as the B&W G3.  I
>> experimented with a B&W G3 first, and it worked for me, auto-boot and
>> everything.  This is why I went out and bought the G4,
>> foolishly assuming that it would behave the same. :-<
>>
>> This is what I did too, at first.  It seemed that the default
>> boot-command of "mac-boot" had to be changed to "boot", or it would
>> insist on booting to MacOS.

>>>Pain and suffering! ofwboot.xcf can read files from the netbsd
>>>partition; does that not work for you? ("boot hd:10,ofwboot.xcf
>>>hd:12/netbsd" or the like). Or netboot, but really, going back and
>>>forth shouldn't be necessary.
>>
>> I'll try it.  I didn't try it because I read something in the notes about
>> "OFW pickiness".  This would reduce my "pain and suffering".
>>
>> This gives me some things to try.  I'll report back.
>
>I posted a message about this a month or so ago regarding a mac with :
>ofb0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0: ATI Technologies Rage Fury MAXX AGP 4x (TMDS)
>
>Apparently OpenFirmware can't set this gfx card up as a console,
>so can't boot automatically. My understanding is that the only way
>to get it to auto-boot was to replace the built-in modem with a
>serial port and assign it to be the console.
>
>If you determine a way to do it without setting up the serial
>console, I'd sure like to ehar it.

Hmmm...

Here is the relevant portion of the log:

Jun 21 21:53:10 grace /netbsd: pci0: i/o space, memory space enabled
Jun 21 21:53:10 grace /netbsd: pchb0 at pci0 dev 11 function 0
Jun 21 21:53:10 grace /netbsd: pchb0: Apple Computer UniNorth AGP Interface (rev. 0x00)
Jun 21 21:53:10 grace /netbsd: ofb0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0: ATI Technologies Rage 128 GL AGP 2x
Jun 21 21:53:10 grace /netbsd: ofb0: 640 x 480, 8bpp
Jun 21 21:53:10 grace /netbsd: wsdisplay0 at ofb0 kbdmux 1: console (std, vt100 emulation)
Jun 21 21:53:10 grace /netbsd: wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay0
Jun 21 21:53:10 grace /netbsd: uninorth1 at mainbus0
Jun 21 21:53:10 grace /netbsd: pci1 at uninorth1 bus 0

So, it doesn't look like the same graphics card....

I'll try again soon.

-dgl-