Subject: Re: G4 (AGP) boots, but won't auto-boot
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <MacPPC@caution.icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/22/2004 07:58:11
>Donald Lee <MacPPC@caution.icompute.com> writes:
>
>> I've tried the usual: (ofwboot.xcf and netbsd.try6 on HFS+ partition on HD)
>>
>> 0> setenv boot-device ultra0:,ofwboot.xcf
>> 0> setenv boot-file netbsd.try6
>> 0> setenv boot-command boot
>
>I did this on my PCI G4 a couple of weeks ago, and while I can't check
>it right now, I don't think I set boot-command away from the default;
>I just set boot-device and boot-file and auto-boot? to yes.

The PCI G4 (aka "Yikes!") is the same chassis as the B&W G3.  I
experimented with a B&W G3 first, and it worked for me, auto-boot and
everything.  This is why I went out and bought the G4,
foolishly assuming that it would behave the same. :-<

This is what I did too, at first.  It seemed that the default
boot-command of "mac-boot" had to be changed to "boot", or it would
insist on booting to MacOS.

>> BTW - it's nice to be able to alternately boot back and forth between the
>> Mac OS HD and netbsd, since I have to build my kernel, and then move it
>> to the HFS partition to boot it.  unlike previous machines, MacOS doesn't
>> blow away the OF setup.
>
>Pain and suffering! ofwboot.xcf can read files from the netbsd
>partition; does that not work for you? ("boot hd:10,ofwboot.xcf
>hd:12/netbsd" or the like). Or netboot, but really, going back and
>forth shouldn't be necessary.

I'll try it.  I didn't try it because I read something in the notes about
"OFW pickiness".  This would reduce my "pain and suffering".

This gives me some things to try.  I'll report back.

Thanks!

-dgl-