Subject: G4 (AGP) boots, but won't auto-boot
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <MacPPC@caution.icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/21/2004 22:14:39
Howdy,

I have been trying to get my Beige G3 (OF 2.4) into production, and
gave up on the ATA problems (lost interrupts, occasional failure).

I went to a G4 (AGP graphics) because I thought that I would be able to
fix my two main problems - the ATA problems, and the fact that the machine
won't auto-boot.

The ATA problems are gone now.  I have 3 drives in the machine on the built-in
G4 ATA, and the drives appear flawless.

I can't get it to auto-boot, though.

I've tried the usual: (ofwboot.xcf and netbsd.try6 on HFS+ partition on HD)

0> setenv boot-device ultra0:,ofwboot.xcf
0> setenv boot-file netbsd.try6
0> setenv boot-command boot

When I reboot, I get a black screen, then a white screen and a hang.
If I do the cmd-opt-O-F and type "boot", then it comes up fine.

I have tried several variations of the boot device, file, and command
and I get everything but a successful auto-boot.

Help?  Anyone know why this is so?

BTW - it's nice to be able to alternately boot back and forth between the
Mac OS HD and netbsd, since I have to build my kernel, and then move it
to the HFS partition to boot it.  unlike previous machines, MacOS doesn't
blow away the OF setup.

Thanks,

-dgl-