Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0_BETA on iBook
To: James Lemke <jim@thelemkes.ca>
From: Darrin B. Jewell <dbj@NetBSD.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/11/2004 10:35:44
James Lemke <jim@thelemkes.ca> writes:

> > I'm guessing that your machine is confused about the partition type
> > being apple ufs or not.  Useful debugging information would be pdisk
> > output, the ofw command you used to boot the machine, dmesg/console
> > output, your /etc/fstab and what partition you think it is using for
> > root.
> >
> > A version of pdisk for 1.6 can be found at:
> > ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/macppc/netbsd-pdisk/netbsd-pdisk.macppc-1-6
>
> Here is the pdisk output:
> Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/rwd0c'
>  #:                type name          length   base     ( size )
>  1: Apple_partition_map Apple             63 @ 1
>  2:           Apple_HFS boot NetBSD     4096 @ 64       (  2.0M)
>  3:           Apple_HFS Mac OS X    19912160 @ 4160     (  9.5G)
>  4:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root         3072000 @ 19916320 (  1.5G) S0 RUFS k0  /
>  5:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap         2048000 @ 22988320 (1000.0M) S1  SFS k0  (swap)
>  6:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 home        53103840 @ 25036320 ( 25.3G) S2  UFS k0
>
> Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=78140160 (37.3G)
> DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
>
> The ofw command to boot:
> boot hd:2,\ofwboot.xcf hd:4,/netbsd.1
>
> /etc/fstab:
> /dev/wd0a       /               ffs     rw      1 1
> /dev/wd0b       none            swap    sw      0 0
> /dev/wd0g       /home           ffs     rw      1 2
> /dev/cd0a       /mnt/cdrom      cd9660  ro      0 0

Well, I don't see anything wrong there.  I'm wondering if something
tried to use your NetBSD root filesystem as if it were apple ufs and
in the process corrupted it.

Can you boot a 2.0_BETA install kernel, get a shell and run:
  fsck_ffs -d -n -f /dev/rwd0a

and send the output, or at least the start of the output if it is long?

In particular, i'm looking to see if that fsck thinks it is
an apple ufs filesystem and if it thinks it is corrupted.

Darrin