Subject: Re: iBook G4 trouble
To: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/07/2004 15:06:26
On May 29, 2004, at 2:26 PM, Michael Wolfson wrote:
> jtl@bothan.net pointed me to
> http://staff.harrisonburg.k12.va.us/%7Erlineweaver/macnb/ which I
> haven't gotten around to playing with.

There's actually no need to patch the server like that.   You can just
define those options in the dhcpd.conf file.   Since the options are in
violation of the DHCP standard, it would actually be inappropriate to
patch the server like that.   But it's easy to make it work in the
config file:

option mac-nc-client-unknown code 220 = string;
option mac-nc-client-id code 221 = string;
option mac-version code 230 = string;
option mac-user-name code 232 = string;
option mac-password code 233 = string;
option mac-nb-image code 234 = string;
option mac-apps-image code 235 = string;
option mac-machine-name code 237 = string;
option mac-client-nb-image code 238 = string;

if (option mac-nc-client-id = "Apple MacNC") {
   option dhcp-max-message-size 576;
   option dhcp-parameter-request-list 1, 3, 230, 232, 237, 233, 234,
235, 238;
}

I am not _absolutely_ positive this will work, because it's a BOOTP
client and not a DHCP client, but it should work, and if it doesn't, I
can suggest patches to make it work that would be preferable to the
patches provided at the Mac site.