Subject: Install on a B&W G3
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <MacPPC@caution.icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/03/2004 20:12:22
Dear list,

I want to relate my recent experience on a B&W G3 install.

First, thank you to MW & co. for the excellent documentation.  It has
come a long way from the 1.4 days.  Kudos.

Second, the reason I'm doing this is that I still can't make my
beige G3 stable enough for production.  It also won't auto-boot.
The pciide card (Sonnet ATA/133) gets errors, and occasionally freaks
out.  This is just a little too risky for me.

On to the show.

I started with a CD burned from the iso image on the ftp site.
It boots first time, every time.  No ofw prep required.

	boot cd:,\ofwboot.xcf netbsd.macppc

Question: Where is this alleged "netbsd.macppc"?  It's not on the CD. (???)

Next, I tried to do an install, and did a standard setup only to find that
this apparently yields a system that won't boot from the HD.  I downloaded
the NetBSD/macppc Partitioning HOW-TO and read it.

I booted from
the OS 9 CD and used drive setup to make 4 (not 5) partitions:

	Mac OS
	swap (b)
	root (a)
	usr (g)

I didn't see why I wanted 5.

I installed a minimal (50 MByte) OS 9 install - just enough to boot and
do file sharing.

I then booted from the CD again, but sysinst would not recognize the
partitioning.  Back to the instructions... I have to do the newfs
commands.

OK.  I got the reinstall to work, and I'm back at OFW.  How do I get it
to boot from the HD?

The trouble is that the Partitioning HOW-TO appears to be wrong.  I
tried what was in the HOW-TO, and it didn't work.  I tried the off-by-one
partitioning algorithm.  no joy.

I figured out that I could crudely figure out where my MacOS partition is
with the OFW dir command.

	dir hd:0
	dir hd:1
	dir hd:2

This yielded the information that the MacOS partition was on partition 6
(not 9).

After putting ofwboot.xcf and the kernel (netbsd) on the MacOS partition,
I put this boot command in the OFW:

	boot hd:6,\ofwboot.xcf netbsd

and all is well.

Does anyone know why the partitioning HOW-TO is wrong?  Is there something
strange that I did?

-dgl-