Subject: Black screen on 15" Flat Panel iMac
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Henry R. Bent <hbent@cs.oberlin.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/03/2004 15:57:53
Hi all,

I just built a bootable CD for macppc from the 2.0 releng build 20040430.
I wanted to have the latest and greatest officially blessed distribution
for testing on machines here.

First of all, binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC_MD.gz doesn't boot.  It starts

Not a problem; I moved on to booting from netbsd-INSTALL.  This works
correctly on most machines but not on an 800MHz 15" flat panel iMac.  Open
Firmware comes up correctly, and I can see the kernel load: (typed by
hand)

0 > boot cd:,ofwboot.xcf netbsd.macppc load-size=cbb8 adler32=419e36f4

tsize=c850 dsize=288 bsize=25c0 entry=e00000
SECTIONS:
.text    00e00000 00e00000 0000c850 000000e0
.data    00e0d000 00e0d000 00000288 0000c930
.bss     00e0d288 00e0d288 000025c0 00000000
clearing .bss, done..

>> NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.9
>> (autobuild@tgm.netbsd.org, Mon May 3 02:09:50 UTC 2004)
4096344

And after that it goes to a black screen with a very little bit of white
text at the bottom.  Then black on black scrolling covers up everything.
It looks like the standard open firmware console on macppc (there are
small borders at the edges that are not cleared, and the machine sounds
like it continues to boot) but since I can't see anything it's pretty
useless.

The little bit of white on black text scrolls by VERY quickly, but here
are some fragments I was able to gather:

usb-kbd-ihandle not found

ihandle=ffbc700  phandle=ff931978

adb-kdb-ihandle

If someone needs the whole thing I can try and get it all.  What I have
now is what I could gather from three reboots.

Thanks in advance for any help or insight!

--
Henry Bent
hbent@cs.oberlin.edu