Subject: Re: OF and ethernet problems with 9600 upgrade
To: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
From: Daniel Eggert <danieleggert@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/25/2004 00:35:14
On 24. apr 2004, at 19:42, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> - OF acts stupidly and falls alwas to serial console! Annoying, to have
> always a TE attached to the seral console.
> output-device and input-device are correctly written inside nvram, as
> "printenv" shows.
> In fact making printenv and using those parameters with
> " screen" output
> " kbd" input
>
> works. SO I don't understand what could go wrong...

It resets back to ttya. Makes you wonder. You could set up your
output-device and input-device in nvram, but i can't remember how that
works...

> Once I set them manually I have NetBSD booting
>
> I can confirm the discussion going on here. I am sure I have a 604e
> processor, while it is recognized as 604ev.
>
> But the problem is the sluggish performance.
> Ping -f to another host fails even a 50% of packets, but contrary to
> the
> 9500, transferring files over the lan is exceedingly slow (4Kbztes(sec)
> and telnet is unusable. (Under macos 9 I get normal net performances).
> Yesterday I got kernelmesasges sayng interrupts were lost on mesh and
> that DMA was reset, today I could't reproduce that, but I had a shorter
> uptime.

There is a known problem with the built-in ethernet (mace) of the
8x00-9x00 systems. Use a know-good PCI ethernet adapter.  I have some
cheap NetGear cards working well here.

sip0 at pci1 dev 15 function 0: NatSemi DP83815 10/100 Ethernet, rev 00

I can also confirm that I've had trouble with external scsi on the ANS
(more or less same motherboard as 9600). It's compiled in, but I don't
use it.

esp0 at obio0 offset 0x10000 irq 12: NCR53C94, 25MHz, SCSI ID 7

> The second HD is internal, so It should't be attached to the mesh
> controller? The external chain is empty. I thought then about Ethernet.
> I have a digital 10/100 card, tried the same setup but got the same
> problems...

Maybe try a different card? I've run 1.6 on several 9600 / 9500 / 8500
machines. No problems with ethernet.

> So I am quite surprised, 9500 and 9600 should be quite similar...

They are.

/Daniel