Subject: G5 vs. the bootloader
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Brian R. Gaeke <brg@dgate.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/22/2004 23:01:14
Hello,

Having found myself in possession of a dual G5, I thought I'd try
booting netbsd on it, just for fun. I thought I'd at least get to
see a nice kernel panic, but it appears that I get stuck in the
ofwboot.xcf bootloader. With a netbsd kernel and ofwboot.xcf in my
Mac OS X root partition's root directory, I boot ofwboot.xcf, and
type the name of the kernel. I get a message like this:

Boot: /netbsd-GENERIC    <-- I type this
3949230read text         <-- it tries to load the kernel & fails with an error

It appears to me that this error message comes from loadfile(), and
it is trying to tell me that it caught an error while trying to read the text
section.

Usually it spits me back out into OpenFirmware if I try this with
a recent CVS build. If I try the 1.6.2 ofwboot.xcf, I get the same
thing, but it sends me back to the Boot: prompt so that I can enter
another kernel name.

So I was thinking about trying to debug this (it will be slow going
for me, but what the heck). Before I try putting lots of printfs
in libsa and ofwboot.xcf, does anyone have any suggested courses
of action?

-Brian Gaeke