Subject: CPU Detection on 8600/300
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Henry R. Bent <hbent@cs.oberlin.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/22/2004 15:53:59
Hi all,

I asked this before but it was buried in another message, so here's
another try with a little more info.

I have an 8600/300 happily running 2.0_BETA from releng.  However the CPU
doesn't seem to be correctly detected by NetBSD.  dmesg excerpt:

cpu0 at mainbus0: Version 0xa (Revision 0x0100), ID 0 (primary)
cpu0: HID0 8000c086<EMCP,ICE,DCE,SGE,BHT,NOPDST>

The code for this is in cpu_identify() in arch/powerpc/oea/cpu_subr.c, but
I'm not good enough with reading through the kernel sources to see where
it's getting the info to ID the CPU.  I would assume it comes from Open
Firmware.  Unfortunately, I can't bring the machine down to see the OFW
device tree.

Does anyone have a copy of Matt Thomas's ofwdump.c?  The old link is
outdated, and it seems that it would be helpful in tracking this down.

The only thing that this appears to break is cpuflags from pkgsrc, because
sysctl's hw.model is set to 'Version 0xa (Revision 0x0100).'  However this
seems like a trivial thing, so I'd like to fix it if possible.

I have a feeling that this is something common to all Kansas machines.
Can anyone confirm or deny this?

--
Henry Bent
hbent@cs.oberlin.edu