Subject: Re: HELP! someone is in my NetBSD box!
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Erik Solomonson <eriks@panix.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/08/2004 16:40:04
On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Niels S.Eliasen wrote:

> Have taken ethernet off, done....
> Well... looks the gury have had on h... of a time... the system was
> by-the-looks of it compromised the 22-Jan-2004... at that time the
> accounting file got wiped... and apparently the super user has this
> entry "Charlie &" in the comment filed and daemon has "the devil
> himself" .....
Hmmm...I don't have a NetBSD box handy right now...But I seem to remember
"Charlie" and "The Devil.." being normal on the system.

Check the passwd file for things that are not supposed to have shell
access but do.

> How can I trace this... ???
> The system is offline at the moment... only three users defined on the
> system, primarily used as a web-server...
What Version of Apache?  Check to see if you were using a vulnerable one.
Check the www logs too.

> BTW: I noticed something was wrong as I did a "top" and all of a sudden
> "root" was doing a "make" and sure as ... it was not me!
That is weird.  But check the crontab and check your cgi-bin (if you have
one) to see what is in there and make sure that root doesn't own anything
on your webserver.

> How did this guy get in ???
> How to figure out ?

Not sure, and I am not even sure if what I am saying will help you at all
:)

But keep poking around...google stuff and let us know...maybe something
will come up.

Just don't re-boot.