Subject: Re: filesystem hierarchy
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/03/2004 02:05:24
>> disklabel improperly identifies the drive's rpm at 3600--it's a 7200
>> rpm drive (Seagate Barracuda ST34371N).  Is this a "bug" in
>> disklabel?
> I don't know why this is.  Perhaps someone else can answer your
> question.

This means essentially nothing.  The RPM value is just another number
the disklabel stores for anyone that might care to look for it, like
the geometry figures or the text label string in this respect.

Once upon a time, such values were actually useful, because they meant
you could predict things like how far the disk would rotate while it
does a seek between tracks and thus you could figure out how much to
skew the layout of one track with respect to the previous for optimal
performance.

Since modern disks are invariable ZBR (which means, probably among
other things, that the sectors/track value varies with cylinder
number), any attempt to do anything useful with the RPM value is sunk
before it starts today.  (Unless, perhaps, you create one partition per
notch, then use something like a ccd to give each one its own label
with its own geometry values - and even then, I'm not sure anything
actually pays any attention to the rpm value today anyway.)

The rest of the message I have nothing to add to.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign