Subject: netbsd/macppc 1.6.2 on motorola starmax 4160 does not boot from hd
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Gruber <matthias.gruber@wolnet.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/29/2004 13:40:11
hello,

i got another motorola starmax to install netbsd 1.6.2 on it.
this one was equipped with an adaptec aha-2940 uw/mac and an ibm 4gb scsi
hd.

i was able to install netbsd.ppc from cd but i could not get the machine
booting from hd.

i did:
    setenv auto-boot? false
    setenv virt-base 600000
    setenv real-base F00000
    setenv input-device kbd
    setenv output-device ATY,264@11
    reset-all

boot ata/atapi-disk netbsd

after that i did the standard cd installation and reboot.

the adaptec 2940 is listetd as
    00630BF0: /bandit@F2000000
    0063E1D8:   /pci106b,1@B
    0063E3B0:   /pci10b8,a011@D
    0063E6D0:   /ADPT,2940UW@E
    0066CD38:     /disk@0,0
    0066DBC8:     /tape@0,0
    0066ECF8:   /pci10b8,a011@F
so i tried the following boot commands:

boot /bandit/ADPT,2940UW/disk:0 netbsd

    can't OPEN: /bandit/ADPT,2940UW/disk:0

boot /bandit@F2000000/ADPT,2940UW@E/disk@0:0 netbsd

     Unexpected Sequencer Interrupt! (crash!)

boot /bandit@F2000000/ADPT,2940UW@E/disk:0 netbsd

     Unexpected Sequencer Interrupt! (crash!)
or
     can't OPEN: /bandit@F2000000/ADPT,2940UW@E/disk:0

after removing the adaptec controller and connecting the scsi-hd to the
internal scsi (using an adapter) i got the following.

boot scsi/sd:0 netbsd

    F_open bootpath=scsi/sd
    read stage 2 blocks: 01234567. done!
    starting stage 2...

    >> NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.7
    >> (autobuild@tgm.netbsd.org, Tue Feb 10 23:44:14 UTC 2004)
    no active package3872492

(crash after that line!)

i switched to an ide-only configuration with a 10gb ide-hd, but got the same
boot  crash as before (internal scsi)

after every boot command trying to boot from hd the open firmware says
"reset to change and reboots. this does not occur when booting from cd.
after the reset virt-base and real-base are back to their default values!
could this cause the boot problems?

 ok
0 >  setenv auto-boot? false  ok
0 >  setenv virt-base 600000  ok
0 >  setenv real-base F00000  ok
0 >  setenv input-device kbd  ok
0 >  setenv output-device ATY,264@11  ok
0 >  reset-all
Open Firmware, 2.0.2
To continue booting the MacOS type:
BYE<return>
To continue booting from the default boot device type:
BOOT<return>
 ok
0 > dev scsi  ok
0 > ls
00634690: /sd@0,0
00635278: /st@0,0
 ok
0 > boot scsi/sd:0 NETBSD.MACPP
RESETing to change Configuration!
bad partition number, using 0
OF_open bootpath=scsi/sd
read stage 2 blocks: 01234567. done!
starting stage 2...

>> NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.7
>> (autobuild@tgm.netbsd.org, Tue Feb 10 23:44:14 UTC 2004)
3872492
Open Firmware, 2.0.2
To continue booting the MacOS type:
BYE<return>
To continue booting from the default boot device type:
BOOT<return>
 ok
0 > printenv

[...]
use-nvramrc?        false               false
real-base           -1                  -1
real-size           100000              100000
virt-base           -1                  -1
virt-size           100000              100000
load-base           4000                4000
pci-probe-list      -1                  -1
screen-#columns     64                  64
screen-#rows        28                  28
selftest-#megs      0                   0
boot-device         /AAPL,ROM           /AAPL,ROM
boot-file
diag-device         fd:diags            fd:diags
diag-file
input-device        kbd                 ttya
output-device       ATY,264@11          ttya
oem-banner
oem-logo
nvramrc
boot-command        boot                boot
 ok
0 >

i read the documentation, install notes, faq and a lot of messages
concerning the tanzania-based macs, but didn't find anything to solve this
problem.

perhaps someone can give me a hint, etc.

tia.
    matthias