Subject: Booting a somewhat crippled PowerBase
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jason Sterne <jhsterne@mindspring.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/25/2004 00:55:27
I managed to resurrect my old PowerBase 180, and I'd like to run NetBSD on it.
I am not a complete newbie, having run NetBSD on mac68k and i386 at times in
the past. Nonetheless, I do have some hardware-related questions.

This machine does not have a working floppy (funny thing - I have two broken
Sony/Apple "Superdrives" but the 800K floppy in my ancient Mac Plus still
works) nor a working SCSI CDROM.  I do have an ATAPI CDROM drive that works
fine on the PB (I got it to boot a MacOS 7.6 CD and install that onto an
antique SCSI drive so I could run BootVars and get into OF). I am somewhat
familiar with OF, having run Linux/PPC on this box for several years in the
1990s.

I am in the process of downloading the NetBSD/macppc ISO. I am hoping that
OF can boot from that, from a CDROM drive as master on the sole IDE channel.
I do recall that Linux/PPC had no problem using the master and the slave on
that bus ca. 1999 (unlike MacOS 7.x), so I'm hoping that once NetBSD boots, I
can install from a CDROM master to an IDE HD slave. Will this be a problem? I
can install onto the ancient SCSI drive, although at 120MB, it may not hold
the entire distribution (although X is very optional for this machine!) and
then copy that over to the IDE drive, although I'm concerned that the IDE
drive would then not be bootable, as I understand that NetBSD (like Linux)
needs a multi-stage bootloader on OF 2.x machines, which I assume is
installed by sysinst running from the CD.

I'd also like to get Ethernet going as cheaply as possible. I have several DEC
Tulip-compatible cards for the PC. Is there any chance they would work with
NetBSD on PowerPC despite the obvious firmware inconsistency? ;)