Subject: Re: Booting a somewhat crippled PowerBase
To: Jason Sterne <jhsterne@mindspring.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/24/2004 22:08:40
At 12:55 AM -0500 3/25/04, Jason Sterne wrote:
>I am in the process of downloading the NetBSD/macppc ISO. I am hoping that
>OF can boot from that, from a CDROM drive as master on the sole IDE channel.
>I do recall that Linux/PPC had no problem using the master and the slave on
>that bus ca. 1999 (unlike MacOS 7.x), so I'm hoping that once NetBSD boots, I
>can install from a CDROM master to an IDE HD slave. Will this be a problem? I
>can install onto the ancient SCSI drive, although at 120MB, it may not hold
>the entire distribution (although X is very optional for this machine!) and
>then copy that over to the IDE drive, although I'm concerned that the IDE
>drive would then not be bootable, as I understand that NetBSD (like Linux)
>needs a multi-stage bootloader on OF 2.x machines, which I assume is
>installed by sysinst running from the CD.

Booting is complex.  See the install notes, which cover a lot of the
options.  Sounds like you know OF well enough to deal with most of
them.

>I'd also like to get Ethernet going as cheaply as possible. I have several DEC
>Tulip-compatible cards for the PC. Is there any chance they would work with
>NetBSD on PowerPC despite the obvious firmware inconsistency? ;)

Shouldn't be a problem in general.  Some drivers might not support
both endianness, but people seem pretty good about keeping up with
that.  Unless the cards have an OF prom you won't be able to net-boot
with them.