Subject: My mac woes [was: Re: Kernel hangs]
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Staffan Thomen <duck@multi.fi>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/22/2004 14:09:29
--SUOF0GtieIMvvwua

Oops, forgot to cc the ml

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 19:15:16 +0000
"Charles M. Hannum" <abuse@spamalicious.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 21 March 2004 01:39 pm, you wrote:
> > Selon matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>:
> > > i am testing...i'll let you know how it goes.  you may be my hero!
> > >  i've
> > > been having this problem for 2 or so years!  (ever since my G4
> > > arrived.)
> >
> > Gah. My iBook just hanged, you can put your G4 back in the cellar.
> > :-/
> >
> > I guess the fix I committed only takes care of the random coredumps
> > problem. This would be consistent with the fact that it restores
> > something which was broken on nov 21st, 2003.
>=3D20
> FWIW, my G4 cube was running quite well for a long time, until I
> upgraded in October.  It started crashing occasionally (like once a
> month), but I've never seen "random core dumps" or "hanging."  Haven't
> looked into the causes of the crashes, because it resets back into the
> PROM and leaves no useful debugging info.  :-/

The G4 I use at work, expresses random core dumps and hangs regularily,
say once every few hours. From memory I think an examination of one core
proved only a ?? somewhere and after that something about a signal
handler (in angle brackets).

This is somewhat frustrating, to say the least.
A problem I have noted on both the G4 at work and a pmac 6500 I have
been given at home, is that from one such freeze the disklabel has been
erased from the drive. (both systems use netbsd disklabels), and I
would have to reconstruct them manually. This happened once at work and
twice at home, both systems were under load (say 2-3) compiling
something.

Breaking into debugger on the serial console of the 6500 (just now
today) got me the following backtrace.

Stopped in pid 1423.1 (make) at netbsd:cpu_Debugger+0x10:       lwz   =3D20
r0, r1, 0 x14
db> bt
0x0062bee0: at zs_abort+70
0x0062bef0: at zstty_stint+d4
0x0062bf10: at zsc_intr_hard+124
0x0062bf30: at zshard+5c       =3D20
0x0062bf60: at ext_intr+1d4
0x0062bfa0: at trapstart+880
0xd363b820: at ADBDevTable+d307c7f8
0xd363b860: at uvm_fault+660      =3D20
0xd363b990: at trap+2b8    =3D20
0xd363ba10: kernel DSI write trap @ 0xc1810000 by memcpy+90: srr1=3D3D0x9032
            r1=3D3D0xd363bad0 cr=3D3D0x48002084 xer=3D3D0x20000000 ctr=3D3D=
0x33b
dsisr=3D3D0xa000000                                                        =
=3D20
                     0xd363bad0: at exec_read_from+54
saved LR(0xfffffffd) is invalid.
db>

Also note that X expresses a (WW) over a fixed-up memory allocation
misalignment (I don't have the exact string at hand atm, can be given
upon request) and also crashes rather frequently, invariably if I run a
window manager.

Both systems run -current snapshots of 20040317, (1.6ZK).

Regards,

--=20
Staffan Thom=E9n
     GPG key: 1024D/7C7E2EF8
 Fingerprint: ADB3 455F 10D5 86D1 78D6  048D 11BB D66E 7C7E 2EF8

--SUOF0GtieIMvvwua

--SUOF0GtieIMvvwua--