Subject: Re: Installation subtleties
To: Donald Lee <MacPPC@caution.icompute.com>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/21/2004 02:42:54
On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 01:06:22AM -0600, Donald Lee wrote:
> All,
>
> I am trying to upgrade my machine from NetBSD 1.6.1 to NetBSD 1.6.2.
>
> My basic plan is to unpack the distro tarballs on top of the running
> system, and then reboot.  Naturally, I need to deal with the changes in
> /etc and elsewhere.

Here is how I have upgraded several systems several times.

First I install the new kernel as netbsd.new. I reboot with netbsd.new
just to make sure it runs.

Then I unpack the base.tgz and whichever other sets *other than etc.tgz*
that I want.

I create a directory /tmp/b and unpack etc.tgz in it. I run "etcupate
-b /tmp/b" to bring /etc and siblings up to date.

Finally, I run /etc/postinstall check all ; /etc/postinstall fix [...],
which cleans up obsolete files (at your option) and does other things to
bring your install up-to-date. I am a little hazy about the postinstall
step, myself.  It seems like postinstall wants for the sources to be
available.

> Is this the "recommended" way to do an upgrade like this these days?
> Documentation seems to say "use sysinst".

I feel more confident with the procedure I describe above than using
sysinst.

Dave