Subject: x11 problems summing up and -current
To: netbsd-macppc <port-macppc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/21/2004 00:23:50
Hello,

I read the whole discussion thread about x11 mmap problems, I understand
about the porblem but ask: is there a solution?

What I did was to install NetBSD current from releng instead of 1.6.2
with the binary sets that are just some days old.

I noticed that xetc.tgz is missing, btw. Are there problems with it?
what does it contain?
I installed X packages manually by untarring them.

But this doesn't helped. I still have that MMAP problem and still no
X11.
I use the matrox graphics (since I have a mga millennium) and not VGA as
other people said in the discussion thread. I configured using
xf86config.

I'd really need X11!  Compiling from sources? never did that and usually
it is not for the fainthearted. I could try if someone points me out
to... but a comment: X11 should really work out of the box.
I had no luck trying to use fbdev. Is there another driver that is known
to work maybe yithout acceleration? at least as a temporary solution.
(not the OpenFirmware 640x480 driver).

Ah. I tried X application by exporting the X session.
I noticed that Xlogo, Xcalc, Xload work. But Xedit segfaults. anyone can
reproduce/confirm ?

-R