Subject: Re: Oops: pciide0:0:0: lost interrupt
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <MacPPC@caution.icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/14/2004 14:09:57
>On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 01:49:38PM -0600, Bill Studenmund replied:
>>
>> I *did* put both drives on the same ribbon cable, with one master and
>> the other slave.  I've been abusing all three drives for about 40 minutes
>> now, and have yet to see a single "lost interrupt" message in the
>> log.
>
>Could you try the other cable, just for completeness?

The cable I have been using up to this
time was the ribbon cable that came with the Sonnet card.  It's a "normal"
grey ribbon cable with 3 connectors on it.

When I bought the 200G drive, I also bought a cable It's an 18", Belkin
"round" cable.  They put the wires in a cute rubber tube with little
"flares" on the connectors.)  I'll call this the yellow cable.
3 connectors.

I tried the yellow cable with both drives on it.

I tried it on the "near" channel.  (the one that I had been using with
the single drive.  It's the one nearest to the front of the machine.)
I also tried it on the "far" channel.  (nearer the back of the machine)

Both attempts had both drives connected master/slave on the yellow cable.
For each, I heaped some abuse on it, and it performed flawlessly,
with one exception.

When I put the drives on the "back" channel, it worked fine under heavy load
for about 30 minutes.  When I went to shut down, I got a single "lost interrupt
message.  The machine seemed to hang there, and I had to power it down.
The "lost interrupt" I/O was apparently very late in the shutdown
process, possibly when unmounting the drives, because the message is
not in the syslog, and when I rebooted (power cycled) it did a full
fsck of the disks.

I'm back on the "front" channel, on the grey ribbon cable.  Life is good,
and my new disk seems to be working, and getting good performance.

Thanks all,

-dgl-