Subject: Re: Oops: pciide0:0:0: lost interrupt
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/12/2004 22:42:35
>> If you want to verify, drag out a separate power supply and plug the
>> disk in question into it, so it's completely off the machine's main
>> power supply.  (Yes, this is generally safe to do; electrically,
>> it's basically the same as putting the disk in an external
>> enclosure.)

> Except that external connectors typically include fuses somewhere.

They do?  I don't know Macs, but I just now looked at the one example
that is at ready hand (an Adaptec PCI SCSI card) and I see nothing
user-replaceable.  There may be fuses, but if they're not
user-replaceable I see no functional difference; they blow, it's dead.
Even the machines on which I've seen fuses have never, in my
experience, fused any SCSI line (they've all been SCSI machines) except
for the terminator power pin.

> This is *not* "safe," but it's okay for a brief lab test.

I suppose it depends on what you consider "safe" to mean.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign