Subject: Re: Oops: pciide0:0:0: lost interrupt
To: Donald Lee <MacPPC@caution.icompute.com>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/12/2004 12:57:12
Hi,

> >> Mar 11 23:27:40 grace /netbsd:  type: ata tc_bcount: 8192 tc_skip: 0
> >> Mar 11 23:27:49 grace /netbsd: pciide0:0:0: lost interrupt

> The word benign is too strong.  Non-fatal would be more accurate.  I'm not
> sure I can live with this on a production machine.  (web/backup server)

I've seen this problem on two 133 MB/sec IDE cards - one gave the same
problems you're seeing, and the other crashed the system when using both
channels heavily. I decided to use only one drive per IDE card for those
particular cards.

> It does not seem to be a problem to have activity on the on-board and one
> of the pciide channels simultaneously.  That works fine.  It starts
> complaining when both Sonnett card channels gets used simultaneously.

What kind of machine is this? The motherboard IDE on a beige G3 might not
be fast enough for you, and you might not have enough slots to add more
IDE cards. Perhaps you can put the two drives on the same channel? That's
never given me any problems. Or perhaps you can live with an older 66
MB/sec controller? I've run two drives on each channel of one of these
with no problems:
pciide0 at pci2 dev 13 function 0: CMD Technology PCI0648 (rev. 0x01)

On my colocated server, I have a 120 gig IDE on the motherboard controller
(500 MHz G4, 66 MB/sec), and I was going to use a 250 gig on a PCI card.
But since it's a production machine, I decided to just get an ACARD SCSI
to IDE adapter and put the 250 gig on the UW SCSI bus.

Good luck!
John Klos