Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: getting X11 on the 9500
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David P. Reese Jr. <daver@gomerbud.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/10/2004 23:16:41
On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 02:32:11AM -0800, James Bilotto wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 02:10:30AM -0800, James Bilotto wrote:

> > > This is interessting, because yesterday night I compiled the yesterdays
> > > current xsrc (4.4.0) on my 7300 and I got the same message (map error) when I
> > > tried to run it this morning...
> > >
> > > compiling using src/x11 didn't worked at all. XMacPPC was build too and
> > > worked ...
> > >
> > > Maybe this is a issue with older macs ???? What is the real problem?
> >
> > new world macs mostly have ati & nvidia cards witch don't use vgahw.
> > i have two ati cards that work fine in my older macs.
>
> so now i read in someone elses post that their radeon does use vgahw,
> i don't know, maybe mine do too. all i know is that my ati cards work,
> but my voodoo3, tt3d, and i128 don't.

Radeon and r128 do use the vgaHW module, but they don't use the vgaHWMapMem
symbol.  The tdfx module does use vgaHWMapMem.  The i128 module uses vgaHW
only for saving/restoring fonts.  I'm not sure what module the twin turbo
cards use.

Just take a look at

   xsrc/xfree/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/*/*_driver.c

The contents of the list vgahwSymbols[] tells you which symbols from the
vgaHW module it tries to resolve at load time.

   David P. Reese, Jr.                                  daver at gomerbud.com